The project will see upgrades extended along a 1km stretch of Highway 19A, from Big Rock Boat Ramp to Rockland Road – both improving services and the beautification of our city’s waterfront. The work includes significant improvements both above- and under- ground, including the reconstruction of sewer and water mains, installation of storm drains, a widened roadway, curb and gutter, sidewalk, seawalk, streetlights, enhanced park spaces, and installation of underground electrical utilities.
This project will be completed in 2021. For more information, review documents below.
This project is supported by the Government of Canada and Province of BC’s New Building Canada - Small Communities Fund, which awarded $6.43 million for the upgrades work. Read the news release about that announcement here...
- Sep 11, 2020: Highway 19A upgrades schedule revised to reduce the spread of COVID-19
- Jun 26,2020: Pop-Up info booth for Hwy19A project proves popular June 2020
- Jun 11, 2020: Keep current – at a safe distance: City hosts outdoor info booth for Highway 19A project
- Apr 9, 2020: Hwy 19a Construction to Restart – Safety Measures in Place to Protect From COVID-19
- Mar 2, 2020: Rockland Road Roundabout to Feature Tidal Pool - Open House March 16
- Feb 10, 2020: 2020 Waterfront Project construction kick-off open house - Feb 2020
- Oct 21, 2019: Have your say on new Rockland Road roundabout centre design, starting Nov. 5
- Sep 26, 2019: Highway 19A construction wraps for fall – work related to archeological find to take place over fall and winter
- May 10, 2019: Work on waterfront project phase 2 starts mid-May
- Feb 14, 2019: March open house outlines summer construction plan Feb-19
Getting Around During Construction
Work along the highway is now underway. Expect delays and intermittent single-lane alternating traffic. Closure notices will be posted here.
See the Alternate Routes Map
- Week of July 20: Work around exit of Big Rock Boat Ramp will block roughly three parking spots. Traffic flow is restored through the boat ramp. Overflow parking available on northside of FoggDukkers coffee shop.
- Rock Hauling: Beginning week of July 27, rock hauling to the Highway 19A/Rockland Road intersection area will begin. Residents and commuters should be prepared for disruptions caused by unloading work.
To sign up for email updates, please email email@example.com
Follow along with current project updates and milestones. more...