The primary purpose of a Building Permit is to ensure that all buildings comply with the safety, health, building and zoning requirements of the City of Campbell River and the Province of British Columbia. The City of Campbell River has prepared packages to assist in understanding the City's Building Permit and Inspection Process. The documents are for general guidance and do not replace bylaws or other legal documents.
If you are intending to construct a Residential building please review the following application packages and forms.
Res BP-SFD; SFD with Suite includes, Single Family Dwellings, Single Family with a suite, Two Family Dwelling.
General guidelines for residential inspections
The City of Campbell River is introducing an Excavation and Foundation Permit for new Single Family and Duplex permit applications to those meeting “Eligible Builder Criteria” in advance of a main Building Permit issuance. (Parcels with in-progress Development Permits, or Development Permits in reference to Environmental or Works & Services requirements are not eligible.)
To be recognized as an “Eligible Builder “you must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a Licensed Builder with an exceptional Inspections record.
- Professional Builder Status as recognized by the Home Protection Office and BC Housing.
- Be in possession of a valid Business License to operate within the City of Campbell River.
- Consistently comply with City building bylaws and BCBC 2012 requirements.
For the application, the proposed site surveys must include the following:
4 copies of a complete Proposed Site Survey conforming to all required setbacks and spatial separations as per the City of Campbell River Zoning Bylaw and BCBC 2012 requirements.
- The proposed site surveys must incorporate a graded site plan.
- Topography of lot showing natural grade and proposed finished lot grades.
- Garage and lower floor finished grades.
- Building height calculated according to the City of Campbell River Zoning Bylaw
When applying for the Excavation and Foundation Permit all listed requirements of the application package must be present at time of submittal and the applicant must be the project General Contractor, not an agent. At the time of application, the following fees will be collected:
Non-refundable Foundation Permit fee: SFD- $300.00
All required paperwork for the Residential building application MUST be presented at time of application; otherwise, the Foundation Permit request cannot be accepted.
A Driveway Permit can be applied for at the time of building permit application for a standard application and must be approved before applying for a Two Day Residential Building Permit. The maximum permitted driveway width is 6.0 meters.